Monday, February 21, 2011

Infant Jeans to Jean skirt


Most of the time infant jeans are too short and too high waist for my taste so instead of wasting the jeans why not make them into something useful like a jean skirt.  Also by the time Taylor actually fits the waste of a pair of jeans the legs are beyond high waters. 

I didnt take a before picture of the jeans because I cut them off in anticipation of doing this a while ago but just got around to doing this project.  Make sure you cut the jeans to the desired length of the skirt but dont worry you can always trim off more in the end so error on the longer side.  Also I started doing it before I started taking pictures.  I have to get used to taking pictures as I do things.  After you cut across the legs of the jeans cut up the middle seam till you fill comfortable and overlap them until the skirt lays flat, pin and sew along the middle seam lines. 
TIP- Always use a denim needle when sewing with jeans.  It is much easier and you wont break a needle.


 Here is the back of the skirt.  It had a lot of overlap so I had to sew some lines the other way.


Here is the front.

If you notice the back of these jeans didnt have any pockets and was quite plain.  I wanted to add some pockets.


The bottom of the legs had a nice ruffle to them so that would make the perfect pockets.  You only need one leg.  I cut down the seams and cut to the length I wanted.  Now I have the perfect pockets for my skirt.  Iron a little hem all the way around your pockets and sew. Now you can go ahead and sew these on but I like to add a design to the pockets to give them a little character. 


Since I dont own a serger (which I want really, really bad) I have learned how to use a twin needle.  Can I just say these are awesome and I recommend to anyone to get one.  It is really great with waistbands and hemming or for decorative stitching.  I will touch on the waistband and hemming in another post but for now we will discuss the decorative stitching.

Here is my set up for my twin needle.  If your machine (like mine) doesnt have a holder for a second spool of thread you will need to purchase one like I have shown here.  You can purchase this as Joanns I think it was like $7 or so.  Thread your first needle like normal.  Put your 2nd thread on the spool and thread like you would normally.

I hope you can tell in this picture but when you get down to where you thread right above the needle you dont do that with the second thread it just hangs down and then is threaded through the second needle. 

I chose to do different color thread just for more of a decorative finish but with waistbands and hemming you will want to use the same color.


 Now start sewing in whatever line you want.  I chose a curvy one.


 Here is what the underside looks like.  It doesnt a nice zig zag stitch.


Now keep sewing until you get the design you want.  Just keep in mind on the other pocket you will need to do the mirror image of the other pocket.


Here is the pockets all finished.  Pin them down and sew them on.


One last step and then we are all finished.


I love the frayed edge look.  So about a 1/4 of an inch from the bottom sew around the bottom edge of the skirt.  Then throw it in the washer and dryer and marvel at the beautiful frayed edge.  Trim off all the long pieces and ta da your done.  After a few more washes it will continue to fray beautifully.


Now try it on your baby girl.


Well thats it for my first tutorial.  I am working on a post for some cute leggings like the ones pictured here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...